Ever wondered what the secret to viral marketing is? What made ads like the Squatty Potty and PooPourri ones so popular, and how did they create multi-million dollar products? Well in this case, it was the Harmon Brothers.
Today’s episode was recorded from the DigitalMarketer Unplugged stage at Traffic & Conversion Summit 2019. Garrett interviews Dan Harmon, Chief Creative Officer at Harmon Brothers, and has him explain the step-by-step process of creating viral ads.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- 5 books that shaped how Dan tells stories in his ads and makes them go viral
- The 3 components of every viral video ad—relevance, relatability, and emotion
- How Dan decides what products his agency will work with and his onboarding process to start the creative development of the ad
- The critical steps of video advertising—casting, hiring a great producer and director, shooting in multiple formats for all social platforms, and making sure your contingency budget is more than you think you’ll need
- How to make an ad go viral with a $500–1,000 budget
- Why editing is the most important part of a viral video ad and Dan’s standard editing process
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
How To Get Ideas by Jack Foster
Hey Whipple, Squeeze This by Luke Sullivan
Building a Storybrand by Donald Miller
Creativity Inc. by Amy Wallace and Edwin Catmull
The User Method by Jeff Schwarting
Squatty Potty | This Unicorn Changed the Way I Poop
Dan on LinkedIn
Thanks so much for joining us this week. Want to subscribe to The DigitalMarketer Podcast? Have some feedback you’d like to share? Connect with us on iTunes and leave us a review!